We all know the importance of a having that perfect look. Whether it is for a party, a wedding, an important office meeting or any other daily event which needs us to look presentable, looking and feeling good is always an essential. What is even more essential is to make sure that once we have applied our makeup (whether light or heavy), it stays the way it was supposed to be. Many women complain about their makeup beginning to smudge after some time, or looking dull and cakey after just a few hours. Well, not any more. Bollywood make-up artist Ayesha Wadiwala shows us why a Make-Up Primer is so important, and lets us in on everything we need to know about our primers.
1. Just like you prime a wall before you paint it, you can prime your face before you apply foundation. Primers work much like a moisturiser under your foundation, but they go one step further than moisturisers.
2. A primer evens out the skin tone, smoothens out fine lines, eases the application of foundation and is meant to create a barrier between foundation and skin.
3. A primer prepares the 'canvas' of the face for cosmetics. Foundations glide more smoothly and evenly, as do blush, eyeshadow and many other cosmetic products.
4. A makeup primer most likely contains waxes, polymers and sillicones. These substances can form a bond with other cosmetics, making your makeup stay longer than they would otherwise. They help prevent skin from absorbing talc and pigment from your foundation as well as preventing talc from drawing oil from the skin.
5. A primer absorbs oil and prevents the makeup from looking greasy. It allows the foundation to 'stay put' in hot climate.
6. Some primers contain botanical extracts such as lavender, orange, jasmine, rose, geranium, grape, kiwi and aloe extracts to soothe and refresh the skin.
7. When applying foundation, it often takes a lesser amount of foundation to achieve the same effect if the primer is applied first.
8. Women with facial scars may find a primer very useful. Especially in cases of scars that are sunken, a primer can temporarily fill in and level the skin.
9. Some primers come with an SPF count giving you that much needed sun protection.
10.Apart from face primers, you can also choose to use lip primers and eye primers. A lip primer will keep the lip colour fresh and stop it from feathering. An eye primer used around the eye area will stop the eyeshadow from creasing.
Here are the top 5 MakeUp Primers favourited by Ayesha herself:
1. Clarins Instant Smooth Perfecting Touch: Ideal for mature skin with visible pores. Can also be used by all skin types. Gives a matte finish and evens out skin tone...Ayesha calls this one her all-time favourite!
2. L'Oreal Base Magique: Ideal for oily skin. Gives a matte finish and velvety smooth texture to the skin.
3. SmashBox Photo Finish Foundation Primer: An excellent primer for dry skin. Leaves the skin with a silky feeling.
4. Mac Prep N Prime: Ideal for all skin types and is long lasting.
5. Avon Magix Face Perfector SPF20: Ideal for acne-prone skin. Absorbs oil and gives a fresher look.
So girls, the beauty secret that will make your makeup stay and fresher is here. Now all you need to do is follow Ayesha's tips and head out to your nearest cosmetic destination right now!!!
- Debolina Raja Gupta