Fashionistas Galore

Sunday, September 30, 2012

Biotique Bio Redwood Naturally Tinted Moisturiser Shade Red: Swatch and Review

Okay, let me really honest and in your face here! I simply DON'T understand why so many of the beauty bloggers out there have been saying good about this product!! I mean, hello, Biotique is one of my favourite brands too, as I really use a lot of their products and have been extremely happy with them, plus, since its not a cosmetic product but an ayurvedic one, it has a natural appeal....

The product I am talking about here is the Biotique Bio Redwood Naturally Tinted Moisturiser in the shade ROSE.

 
I don't really regret buying any of my beauty/fashion/cosmetic stuff as I do ample research beforehand and only buy what I feel will work for me after testing it out...so this was ONE product that really came as a disappointment.....I wish the brand would allow me to give it back, but since it won't, this is going to be sent to the bye-bye bag (the trash bag, really ;-)) the moment I'm done with the pictures and the review...see, how much I do for you girlies ;-)

Sorry for being so harsh here Biotique, especially as I don't like to be negative, but I really had to be honest here!

Here's what the company says on the product:
SPF 30. UVA/UVB Sunscreen. For all skin types. This sheer, tinted moisturiser is blended with redwood, winter cherry and wheat germ oil to bring skin to life. Hydrates and evens out skin tone with a healthy tint of colour. SPF 30 and UVA/UVB sunscreen and other protective agents shelter skin from the damaging effects of the sun, stress and city pollution.

Price: INR 299 for 55g

Shades Available:
Rose (supposedly meant for fair skin)
Peach
Olive

How To Use As Mentioned On The Product: Apply to cleansed skin each morning, before sun exposure. Dot forehead, nose, chin and cheeks, then blend well. Perfect to use in place of foundation.


My experience with the product:

  • Okay, the biggest problem I had and have with this product is it makes your face look washed-out! When I went to the Biotique counter, none of the SAs had any idea about the product - they were extremely poorly trained, there were no testers available, and when it had first come to the market, there was only one shade available around - Rose. This, the SAs told me, since it was also written on the product, was for fair skin, but once I used it, I realised it was not the correct shade at all! This seemed more suitable for a wheatish or darker skin tone, and since there were no testers available (and still are not), it wasn't possible to check before buying.

  • I was desperately looking for a tinted moisturiser, as I don't like using foundation most of the times, and I wanted a tinted moisturiser to help me with my pigmentation around the sensitive area I have around my eyes. Also, I have dry skin with an oily T-zone, so I wanted something that wouldn't dry out my skin.
  • In the beginning, it seemed like the product was creamy and good for my skin, it was gliding on smoothly and gave kind of an even look. But this feeling lasted for about 3-4 minutes after application. Once I was done, I couldn't help but notice a pasty kind of look (what I mean here is that it gave the face an unhealthy look, a washed-out, sick, flat look!) Once you apply the product, you HAVE to use a powder to give back your skin some life! Its really not what I was looking for...
  • Heavy heavy heavy and extremely greasy, even for someone with dry skin. Since I have dry skin, most products get absorbed in very easily, and I expected the same with this one too. But on using, the product felt extremely heavy on my face, as if I had caked up my face with layers and layers of lotion or cold cream! Let me clarify here that I had only dotted my face a little and blended in the product, but after that, it felt like I had drowned my face in layers of cream! 
  • Makes your skin break out in sweat if you step out in the sun. Since the product sits so heavy, the moment you step out in the sun, your face starts sweating, so much so that soon there is a stream of sweat running down your sides! That too when it claims to have SPF 30! I'm sorry but I don't get the connect here at all!


Packaging:I'm not very happy with the packaging of Biotique products. Instead of long tubs, I wish they would have flat, round ones, so that it would be easier to take out the product. What happens here is that as you begin using up the product, you need to dig deeper into the tub, and it can be quite messy on your nails, especially if you are caring enough towards them and dress them up (Im not a nail person, so I didn't have mine destroyed, but yes, I did not like the mess it created around my nails - it was an unnecessary mess) and a waste of product.

The product has a nice ayurvedic fragrance to it which I was fine with.


Coverage-wise it's okay, as in it's more than light coverage, but if you need help with your skin, then you may probably need to go for a foundation - this is definitely not perfect to use in place of foundation (as the brand claims), as it will ruin any makeup you put on top!

Pros: NOTHING at all. I will not recommend this product, and it's really sad as I quite like all the other Biotique products that I have used over the years and still do. And after this review, this tub is going out to bye-bye-land (my garbage bin)..wonder why I kept holding on to it for so long!

Cons: Do I need to say more?

- Debolina Raja Gupta